Thursday, October 20, 2005

Wrapped …


… in the cold blanket named FEAR.

I just had an opportunity to do something I thought would be really nice, considerate and unique for someone. I wanted to a send present to a fellow Texan that I had never met … who didn't know me from some steet-trash, Colt 45-drinking, whoring-scumbag predator. All I asked for was a mailing address. "Um, no. Ye canna ha'e me address!" Seems I forgot that some folks never had the same trust for their neighbors that I did as a child, as a pre-pubescent adolecent and even as a teenager. My bad.

When I was growing up we'd always leave the keys in the car's ignition, and we'd always leave our doors to the house unlocked - God forbid, what if our neighbors needed something? Back then it was June and Ward Cleaver in Leave it to Beaver or the Father Knows Best that set the tone of the 50s and 60s.

Those days are gone now, those days of innocence and trust. Makes me sad. Those halcyon days are long gone; those idyllically happy and peaceful days of yore are nothing but a memory and it is doubly sad that there is no trust in the world in general.

People are wracked with fear, fear that is undoubtedly merited, in these modern days of distrust and war. Fear for their safety, fear for their family's safety. Totally understandable and yet, regrettable, sadly regrettable.

Most of the people who visit here on a regular basis, know me. Some do not, yet I have their addresses and phone numbers which I asked for and received - without gnashing of teeth or freaking out.

I know there are "predators" out there in cyberspace. I know people want their anonymity. I just am saddened that our reaction to the world of chaos that we now live in, is to wrap oneself in a cocoon of "imagined" safety. We are not safe anymore. No one is.

There is a saying that I have been seeing regularly lately: "Be the change you want to see in the world." So if anyone needs anything - whether I know you or not - just drop by the Good Ship Sycamore and ye'll be welcomed as ye'r piped aboard and introduced to the comfort of our ship. Ye'll dine on what 'er Stomps With Foot and I have in the kitchen, drink grog or make a beer run. We'll entertain each other with stories and generally have a great time.

I know all about war - been there, got decorated, got back to the world in one piece, both mentally and physically. Viet Nam was a long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far away. So was Kent State, Martin Luther King, RFK and JFK. It seems things started to go downhill during the Nixon administration - back when Richard was King.

Damn. We need a new generation of protest songs - to get the message out that people are generally trustworty, good-hearted and kind. Damn.