Tuesday, July 12, 2005

How does she come up with this stuff ?



I have no idea where my bride of 35 years (Stomps With Foot) comes up with this stuff. But she is right again! I learned early on in our marriage that she is always right - well, not early enough to prevent a lot of grief and wringing of hands. Truth be told, it only took me 10 years. This should serve as notice to you blissful couples out there. Especially the grooms. The sooner you learn this Universal Truth, the better.

She must've been staring at the ceiling in the sun room. It's one of those "glittery-popcorn" ceilings; noticed how dirty it was, and decided to research how to remove it. I came home yesterday to, "Honey, I think the sun room, my office and your office ceilings are called "popcorn" ceilings and they contain asbestos." "No way," says I. "Well, I've been doing some research and everything I've read indicates that it is."

I shrugged (like there is anything I could do about that, and doubted it anyway) and gazed upon the ceiling. "Nah," I said, "doesn't even look like popcorn."

This morning I find an email at the office, from Stomps With Foot. Read it and remember the Universal Truth I mentioned earlier:
Textured ceilings installed before 1980 or sprinkled with glitter probably contain asbestos. "The gold or silver metal flakes are usually a tell-tale sign," says Leland Sumptur, a project manager at Asbestos Consulting Testing in Lenexa, Kan.

A professional asbestos testing firm can provide instructions on how to create a ceiling sample. Results typically come back in a few days.

If a ceiling contains more than 1 percent asbestos, homeowners can either keep the popcorn or have it professionally removed.

Asbestos-removal companies remove residue by wetting the ceiling and using negative-pressure machines that put the room under vacuum. Expect to pay at least $1,200 per room.

To save the expense, some homeowners ultimately decide to scrape the popcorn themselves. "We caution people against doing that," Sumptur says. But if homeowners are determined to tackle the project themselves, they should talk with a professional asbestos consultant about safety precautions.

If a ceiling contains less than 1 percent asbestos, it is safe for homeowners to scrape.


I think we should just install a drop ceiling with metal tiles or something inside the squares. Would cost a lot less than $1,200 per room. Sheesh, we have three room that are done that way. Anyone know how to get a popcorn ceiling tested for asbestos, I'm not worried about it or anything, but she is always right.