Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Round and round and round it goes …

My daughter: codename - Sweetie One (also known as, "The Mothership," is due to open the pod-bay doors any time now. I think she has a C-section scheduled for May 31st. Wow. Grandchild number two. Think about that for a second. Where are you in your life? 20-something, 30-something, 40-something? Wherever you are, you will be here, God willing. This is such a miracle, and it is impacting me as much as or more than the births of my own dear progeny. So once the new life comes into the world - as screwed up as it may be - there will be rejoicing on the forecastle and amidships and the fantail. I will raise the signal flags high in the harbor once the event occurs.

Children - wow. How many of you remember seeing Christmas through their eyes, or the 4th of July? I can remember, and reflect often on the joys and pains of parenting. Little miss granddaughter - codename: Dunky, will be a sight to see when she becomes a "big sister." Wow. I am truly blessed, and I give thanks every day for the joys and pains of parenthood.

Andy and Laura have just joined the club with the birth of Anwen just you wait guys, in 20 years or so when you are blessed with grandchildren! I share your elation and frustration even as I write this missive.

Being a father is not easy. Being a parent is not easy. Giving your love to your children is easy.